1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another V Strom

Discussion in 'Our Rides' started by Dee Dub, Dec 4, 2018.

  1. Dee Dub

    Dee Dub Active Member

    Likes Received:
    39
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Since I have nicknamed the BMW R1200RT the Death Star, I feel I ought to give the V Strom a nickname too. I thought X-wing, since it's small and not on the Dark Side.

    Or maybe not...

    A few updates follow.
     
  2. Dee Dub

    Dee Dub Active Member

    Likes Received:
    39
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Electrics

    Heated grips and Garmin mount first. I'm happy for both to be 'unswitched'. The Oxford heated grips turn themselves off if accidentally left on. The sensor identifies a deop in voltage and lack of electrical noise. I prefer the Sat Nav to remain on when I stop for fuel/whatever.

    I already had a waterproof fuse box so rigged that up under the seat. There is a nice slot on the frame side, but the lead for the Garmin wouldn't reach that far.

    While trying to fix the switch to the clutch bracket, somehow I overtightened the fastener and stripped the thread. "Oh deary, deary me" I exclaimed. I have decades of experience of working on bikes and I genuinely don't understand how I did that. So, work on grips is stalled until I get that fixed. Maybe a Helicoil or something.
    IMG_20181117_124228.jpg IMG_20181117_124256.jpg
     
    Lutin likes this.
  3. Dee Dub

    Dee Dub Active Member

    Likes Received:
    39
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Panniers (and indicators)

    I still have my Pelicases that I used to use on my old Varadero. My Dad and I adapted them to fit Hepco and Becker frames, so I bought similar frames for the X-wing... I mean V Strom.

    IMG_20181130_113313.jpg

    The frames interfere with the location of the indicators. H&B provide an alternative place to mount them, but the wires are too short to reach back inside the tail unit! The original wires aren't suitable for an exposed location anyway.

    So, I unsoldered the original wires, soldered in longer, shielded ones, and soldered them to the original connectors.

    IMG_20181119_154943.jpg

    IMG_20181127_193506.jpg

    The wires now reach easily back to the original entry points and to the connectors inside the tail unit.

    IMG_20181130_101332.jpg

    Next job: Top box. Much simpler!
     
    nick949, Lutin and Philwhiskeydrinker like this.
  4. Lutin

    Lutin Administrator Staff Member Forum Supporter

    Likes Received:
    298
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Ah yes, the "it'll just take 5 minutes job" curse. Hope you get the thread sorted without too much bother.
     

Share This Page